What I learned in 2016:
1) In the right place things become effortless.
2) When you are brave, you are rewarded.
3) It is not true what they say about carrying your problems with you wherever you go. We are dynamic beings influnced by our surroundings. Only if you are rigid will you carry the same problems everywhere. But if you are elated by change then surely your delight will be transfered and then reflected back at you. This quote summarizes my stance. "No amount of security is worth the suffering of a mediocre life chained to a routine that has killed your dreams" -Maya Mendoza
3) When you make it a priority to love yourself no matter your weakness, no matter your flaws, no matter your mistakes, your resilience is multiplied and you establish a deep unfettered contentment in your heart that very few people can compromise.
4) As the above becomes more instilled in you, you happily leave behind unbalanced relationships and your standard for the people you will your spend time with is raised.
5) When you no longer concern yourself with things that you used to lose sleep over, instead of tossing and turning you wake to remember the oddity of your dreams.
6) When you raise your standard for healthy, fulfilling relationships you find yourself surrounded by balanced, welcoming, loving relationships and your health improves as a result.
7) When you practice (even if it is not easy at first) creating boundaries for yourself, which sometimes means respectfully saying "no"- you carry less resentment and you increase your self worth.
7) When you let yourself love or desire unabatedly, even when it is unsure, you are lifted into the world of poetry. You should take risks for what you think is great, no matter your fears. If your fear comes true- then write, poetry, bleed words that make you unleash the realness of longing. And to have had such passion in your heart is something you should never regretfully experience.
8) Finally in regards to number 7- Oscar Wilde said it best: "Never love anybody who treats you like you are ordinary".
9) Find someone who allows you to be messy and moody, unpredictable and even a bit contradictory. Because alas you are a human influenced by your past, the stars, planets, the moon and the sun.
10) You cannot force yourself to be happy or healthy, you must find the right circumstances that bring that out in you and rest with palms up and a little smile on your face. You can only softly achieve these things.
11) No matter what anybody advises to you, utimately, the only person who knows what's best for you- is you. Learn to trust your intuition. Learn to trust yourself.
Et voilà. Happy New Year. I hope you have had great lessons this year that have woken you up from your depths and enlivened you despite the tragedies and losses. There are always gifts....may you recognize them.
Hailing from a suburb of Toronto, I moved to the West Coast of Canada in 2004 to study Environmental Science in Victoria, BC. Always passionate about the health of Mother Earth and the health of those who occupied it. I studied yoga in India in 2007 returned to Vancouver in 2008. I taught yoga and worked at one of Vancouver's leading Naturopathic Clinics as a Clinical Associate. I continued to study yoga with some fantastic and respected North American teachers and returned to India for more studies in 2011. Now, I live in Paris, France and teach both group classes and privately. My aim is to bring about improved well-being, in whatever form is required.